Tuesday 1 October 2013

That time of the year..

A typical bong! I wait for the Durga Puja  impatiently through out the year. Few days left for the festive season to start and I can't wait to catch the glimpse of the streets of Kolkata in these days.

There are few people who go on a holiday during the pujas but I don't find it a decent way of spending this time of the year away from Kolkata. The dazzling lights, the pandals, the crowd and of course the food! How can someone afford to miss it?!

Starts with Mahalaya. Here it comes. I never wake up at 4 in the morning to listen to the mahishashur mardini. Its saved in my computer. I can listen to it at any time. So what's the point of listening to the same thing at 4 in the morning!!!
My new apparels are all ready by then. I pray to the Weather God so that He does not wet the city during the pujas. Its extremely dejecting to wear new dresses & carry an umbrella. Although there have been instances of raining at Kolkata during this time. Yes, I wore my new dresses and all ready & packed up for the rain.

Panchami with college friends! Some of my friends don't actually stay in Kolkata. So the first day is spent with them. This year we have decided to visit the pandals of Central Kolkata.
Water bottle, check! Camera, check!
  • Water should definitely top your list. The humid climate of Kolkata demands water more than any aerated drinks. Drinking water instead of cold drinks is safe!
  • Camera is another friend of yours who will capture the memories you spend during the entire season. It can bring a smile at any time of the year when you check the photos later.
I often find people carrying umbrella because of the heat. But I would advise not to carry umbrella except if its raining. There will a huge crowd on streets and carrying an umbrella will only pose a problem for the other people.

Sashti is supposed to be spent with school friends. No particular plans yet. Lets see how everything turns out. Every year the plans are made on the morning itself & it turns out to be the best! My sister will be coming to Kolkata within a few days. So I need to keep aside a day to go with her. My parents aren't very keen to go with us these days. My dad takes my mom out, visit our native place and just a few pandals. Surely they don't like all the craziness these days we do!

Saptami, Ashtami & Navami likely to be spent in the same fashion. Ashtami is the most important day of the festival. Pushpanjali in the morning being the foremost part of the day. I usually wear a saree in the morning for the pushpanjali. Everyone (most of them, if not all) wear traditional dresses that day.

Bengali festival without food is unimaginable! Different restaurants each day. So make sure to save money. It will be all worth. Street foods are also never left behind.
Papri chaat, bhel puri, pani puris, candy floss, golas, kulfis, ghugni, aloo tikki, bada pau, jalebi, bhaji, bonda, vadai, pau bhaji, jhal muri, pakora........ and the endless list goes on! After all, its India!!
Make sure to be a part of this super exciting festival of the soulful city of India, Kolkata!



Sad because Dashami has arrived? Don't be!!You are bengali!
You still have Kali pujo & Bhai fonta to cheer you up. Should be enough of your share of the festive season. If that is not enough, you are surely a student. You have your odd semester exams near by. Start studying by then. Else the dhamaka will be too much to handle!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment