Sunday 25 August 2013

My maa

10th February, 1993

That's my birthday. Since the day I was born, my life has changed each and every day. I have changed my priorities from time to time so that I get to know what really concerns me.
Time has a wonderful way of showing us what really matters!
 My mom often tells me how I was so attached to her when I was a baby. I would cry whenever she was not around even for a moment. I would create such a scene when I was with my dad that sometimes when we were out & I was on my dad's lap, people would often stare at us because of my incessant blubbering!

My dad has a transferable job. So we stayed at different places and the idea of changing schools and getting new friends was exciting for me! When we would come to Kolkata, my mom would leave me and my sister at some of our relatives' place so that mom & dad could get their work done.

 I was a child of seven or eight at that time. It was more than two hours that they hadn't returned. I looked outside the window of my aunt's home waiting for them to return. I was aware of the fact that I can't cry for my mother now because I felt I was a big girl & it would be shameful to cry when my cousins, uncle & aunt were around, . But my aunt sensed that I was sobbing so she was trying to cheer me up. When my parents returned at noon, I rushed to the door to see them. No, it was nothing filmy that I went and jumped on them or hugged them. My mom's mere glance was enough for me.

When we were young, crying & sobbing was the easiest way of letting someone know that we don't like some thing!

Growing up changes so many aspects of life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I stay with my mother now. My dad is posted in another state. My sister is pursuing M.Sc in Tamil Nadu. Whenever I am at my home, I spend my time watching films and series. We exchange pen drives at college almost everyday these days. Horror films, classic films, series like Castle, Game of thrones, Friends.... My mom gets annoyed because the computer is always switched on whenever I am at home. I read e-books of Inferno, The Cuckoo's Calling, And the mountains echoed, so my mom always asks me these days "when are you going to switch if off?"

She has grown used to the fact these days that I WILL switch it on as long as I am at home. So she doesn't bother these days. But she has this notion that I always speak to someone on Facebook.

"Do you have any special friend?"

She will ask the same question every alternate day just to confirm! She gives a straight face when I tell her "no".

"Why don't you have any? Everyone has these days!"
"Because I'm dumb."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Who is this guy?", the same question whenever I chat with someone.

"A friend", I tell her. She starts giving me a fake smile but when I tell her that he is just a friend, she goes to another room. I don't know whats bugging her these days. She even asks me which of my friends are committed!

"Can't you cook something different and nice?", I usually tell her whenever I am at home.
And yes she comes up with different delicacies each day when I stay at home.

 Its just me and her these days. So she tells me everything. Right from the inflation, sensex, the fall of rupee, the new films coming up, tales of our relatives etc etc. She is never short of topics! When you are bored, just sit beside my mom with a cup of coffee. I bet, your ears are gonna pain!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm going for Madras Cafe next week with Amit, Upasana & Supritam"
"Going for lunch?"
"Its the name of a film."
"Oh! why do you always go with your friends?"
"Whom do u expect?"

Aah! the smile comes up!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love it how she cares about everyone in our family. We have lots of relatives so she keeps reminding me about our distant relatives from time to time. I watch her doing all the household chores. She even does some of the official work because my dad doesn't stay here. Yes, its true that my dad earns for the family but the little things like paying taxes, updating passbooks, buying stuff for home, cooking, and all the endless stuff.


"I hate cooking. Its boring. I hate household chores", I tell her.
"Its okay. You can keep a maid who will do every thing when you will have a home of your own. But you must know the basic things at least. Isn't it?", she tells me.

Oh yes! You won't be staying with me then! I wonder sometimes.....


No comments:

Post a Comment